This week has been stressful. Geoff and I seemed to change roles this week because I had a TON of homework and a paper to write and it was as if he didn't have any! I'm sure that was because I had the same amount of homework as him instead of less this time. It also could be that I was stuck in the guest bedroom for five hours trying to finish an Art History paper and he was watching TV while he did his homework. I can not concentrate if anything is going on around me.
Another circumstance that was stressful was work this week (I found it humorous). Poor Geoff was the "leader" of our gate at a Band competition. He had the radio and looked official. The policy for the game was that we could let in all the band members without a ticket but not the parent's or band director. They needed to have the appropriate paper or ticket to enter. It was about 30 minutes into our shift and the first band comes to set up all their instruments on the field. We stopped them at our gate to scan tickets and none of the parents had tickets. The funny thing is our supervisor told us before we went to our gate that "band parents are very serious. VERY." There were about 5 adults that couldn't go in and help set up. Geoff told them that the ticket booth was just 100 feet away and the they cost $5. One mother FREAKS out! She is saying that we aren't good mormons and that we should leave Utah because we don't trust her to let her go in and watch her daughter perform then come back out and buy the ticket. Would the movie theater let you watch a movie without paying for it first and promising you will buy a ticket after the show? Yeah right!!
So this mother kept raising her voice at us like we are idiots and saying we don't have the spirit of helping people. (All this time Geoff is trying to help them and figure out if their band director had any extra tickets, who was already in the stadium setting up). She is still angry with rage and pointing fingers, saying that when we have kids we will understand how important it is to be a good example to them, and to support them. Geoff's thoughts were, "When we are parents we will be better examples and not throw a fit, especially in public!" Thankfully he didn't say that to her face because she would have literally beat him up. She was vicious. She begins to yell and say that this is ridiculous and that BYU needs to get organized. After about 15 minutes of this, the director comes out to give them the extra tickets. All of us at the gate were amazed at how ridiculous and immature the woman was. We couldn't stop talking about the situation for about an hour. I kept saying how it would be great if she came back out and talked to us again. Without failure, she did! "You guys need to get your story straight! When I walked out, people at another gate ran after me to give me a stamp on my hand to get back in!!" Obviously since she was already in the stadium, you always need to get your hand stamped when you leave. She was saying that they "let her in without any problem." THAT IS BECAUSE SHE HAD HER HAND STAMPED! At this point I was appalled by her actions. She again started pointing fingers and said that we need to be more trusting and believe that people are honest and that she would be obedient and would have purchased the ticket afterwards. Geoff was quick on his feet and replied, "Yes, Obedient to the laws." Referring to our policy. I made a mistake and laughed really hard. Not very professional I admit. BEST PART OF THE STORY: She tells us," I am a US Senator and I know all about this political stuff, and I am fed up with the youth, your age group. So disrespectful!!" Again, yelling at all of us. And then she walks off with her son. About 10 minutes later her daughter from the band came out of the stadium and we apologized for the inconvenience and that we didn't mean for her to get so upset. We asked if her mom was a US senator and said it was cool. The daughter said, "No, she's not. She was in the military and she is scary huh?" After she had walked away we all started laughing becuase the woman stressed honesty, and in return she was not very honest herself. Especially with her son being with her? A good example? I think not. Geoff was my hero for being calm and patient the entire time.
Well that has been our fun week! We finally have a free weekend with no work or a lot of homework. What a blessing!
Oh my goodness, I would have DIED laughing. You got lucky that your hubby was so nice. Mike's way of dealing with people like that is to be REALLY REALLY nice, to the point of being annoying, until they storm off. He does it all the time at work. Then he just laughs it off. ;)
ReplyDelete