Sunday, December 5, 2010

Bethlehem Dinner

I am the Relief Society Meeting Coordinator (Enrichment) and we had a bethlehem dinner. This is a tradition in my family. We spread a table cloth on the floor and lay around it while eating our humble supper. My dad usually reads the Christmas story and then we enjoy each others company. This picture was of last year's Bethlehem dinner. 


Our ward activity had a great turn out. I was pleased. We focused on Mary and her perspective of Christ's birth and life. We listened to the Song, "Mary did you know," and then someone from my home ward wrote "Mary's Story." I borrowed it and it was beautiful. 

Mary’s Story

Hello, my name is Mary and I welcome you , my sisters, to Jerusalem this night.  I am so glad that you have come to celebrate the birth of my son, Jesus Christ, with me.  Before we sup together I would like to share my story, the story of the birth of Jesus Christ and his life.  Let us go back to the beginning.

            At the time I was a young Israeli woman living in Nazareth and was betrothed to a wonderful man named Joseph.  He was a carpenter.  One day in the six month while going about my daily business an angel appeared unto me.  How do I described my feelings about this?  At first I was afraid like most of you would have been but Gabrielle (for that was the Angel’s name) said unto me “Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.  And behold, thou shalt conceive in the womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name Jesus.”  I felt somewhat confused at this so I asked the angel” How shall this be, seeing I  know not a man? “  The angel replied “The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.”
I cannot describe how I felt after this.  I am sure that I had many emotions going through my head.  Joy at having the Son of God and fear in my heart.  How would Joseph take the news when he found out?  Would he have me stoned which was the custom at the time or would he put me away privily?  I am sure that I also felt peace in that I knew this was the Lord’s will and that he would help make everything work out for the best.

            Well, Joseph, who was a just man and was not willing to make me a public example, decided to put me away privily when he found out that I was with child, but as he was thinking upon these the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream saying “Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.  And she shall bring forth a son and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.”  So Joseph took me for his wife and knew me not until after my son’s birth.

            During the time while I was carrying Jesus a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed and that every one should go into his own city.  This meant that Joseph and I had to travel to Bethlehem since Joseph was of the house of David.  At this time I was great with child.  It was a long journey and I was thankful for it to end, but when we arrived in Bethlehem there was no room for us in the inn.  One inn keeper was kind enough to let us stay in his stable, and this is where my son was born.  I am sure that I felt the way many of you have or will feel at the birth of your first child.  I probably felt exhausted, frightened, worried, and in pain  but at the same time I know there was great joy, love, happiness and peace.  When my son was born  I wrapped him in swaddling clothes and  laid him in a manger. 

            Although it is hard to describe what I was feeling at this time,  I can tell you that the heavens were rejoicing and that soon the news of this glad tiding spread.  One of the first to know of this miracle was some shepherds who were watching their flocks by night.  The angel of the Lord came unto them and after reassuring them that they had nothing to fear told them that their Savior, my son, had been born.  He also told them that they could find him lying in a manger wrapped in swaddling clothes.  “And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of heavenly host praising God, and saying Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace, good will toward men.” 

            After the angels left the shepherds decided to come and see this thing that had come to pass that the Lord had made known unto them.  They came quickly to Bethlehem and found Joseph, me and Jesus lying in a manger.  They then went and  spread the news of my son’s birth.  The Shepherds were just the first visitors.  A while later we had three wise men come and visit us.  What an experience that was to have three kings from the orient come to see us a carpenter and his wife but it wasn’t really Joseph or me that they were there to see.  It was their king, the Lord of Lord’s, their Savior, my son Jesus Christ.  The Wise Men brought him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.  When they saw the young child and me they fell to their knees and worshiped him. 

            After the Wise Men had departed, an Angel of the Lord appeared unto Joseph in a dream.  He told Joseph that he needed to take Jesus and me and flee into Egypt.  For at this time Herod the king was seeking to destroy Jesus.  So we left for Egypt and stayed there until Herod died.  We then returned and lived in the city of Nazareth.

            I would just like to share one story with you about my son’s youth.  Every year we went to Jerusalem at the feast of the Passover.  When Jesus was twelve we went to Jerusalem as we normally did.  After the feast was over we returned to Nazareth.  We supposed that Jesus had returned with us and was somewhere in the group that was traveling together.  After a day’s journey we went and inquired of our family and friends where he was, but we didn’t find him.  I am sure that my heart stopped and that fear gripped me just then the same as it would you if your child was lost.  We went back to Jerusalem to look for him.  We found him after three days.  He was sitting in the Temple in the midst of the teachers.  They were listening to Jesus teach and asking him questions.  After being so afraid and sorrowing after Jesus being lost when I saw him I asked of him “ Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us?  Behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing. “   He replied unto me “How is it that ye sought me?  Wist ye not that I must be about my Father’s business?”  What a privilege and challenge it was to raise this child.

            Jesus grew to be a wonderful man.  Just like you and I he learned line upon line and precept upon precept but unlike us he was perfect.  He healed the sick.  He lifted up the weary.  He taught the gospel to the people and showed the way.  He preformed many miracles.  He went about his Father’s business until one day he ended up in the Garden of Gethsemane and upon a cross.  There he performed the greatest miracle of all.  He atoned for our sins and overcame death.  Just like you and I he lived on this Earth and he experienced trials and when he was in the garden and upon the cross he experienced every heartache, illness, and trial known to man.  He learned how to succor us in every need we have.  Because he did this for us, you and I will never have to walk alone.

            Jesus was self less even upon the cross.  His thoughts were ones of love.  He forgave the thieves that were hung on either side of him and some of his last concerns were for me.  As I stood by the cross Jesus saw me and his disciple John standing there.  Jesus said unto me “Woman behold thy son! “  and he said unto John “Behold thy mother!”  From that hour on I was taken into John’s home and cared for.  What great love my son had for me that he would make sure that I was taken care of. 

            As we all know Jesus died upon the cross that day but three days later arose from the tomb.  Sister’s I testify unto you that he lives.  That he loves each and every one of you.  That he died that you may once again live with your Father in Heaven.  If you will turn to your Savior , even Jesus Christ , that you can be helped and carried through any trial that you have.  I promise you that if you follow him, always remember him, take upon you his name, and keep his commandments that one day you will return to live with your Heavenly Father and gain eternal life.

            Well sisters this is my story that I wanted to share with you.  I hope that as you go through this Christmas season that you will remember my son and his life and that you will follow his example.  I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ Amen.











No comments:

Post a Comment