Thursday, April 30, 2015

Cate Arrived

Here is the story of the arrival of our perfect little Cate. I was having three appointments every week to keep an eye out for this pregnancy and everything was dandy every time I went. When I went to my OBGYN at 35 weeks she measured how big the baby was and was about to let me leave but then realized I had a history of preterm labor. She decided to check my cervix and before doing so, she said that as long as I'm not a 5 that I should be okay. Then she started laughing and said, " you're at a 4.5! ...I'm not going to send you to the hospital yet, but once you start having contractions you NEED to get to the hospital! Just don't sneeze or else you might have her. "

 I go home and go about my business and at my 36 week appointment, she checked my cervix again and I was at a 6 and 80% effaced. She then sent me to the hospital to get an amniocentesis to see if Cate's lungs were mature enough to induce me. My doctor didn't want me walking around when I was advancedly dilated. So in the process of getting the amino, the Dr. Was having a hard time finding a pocket of amniotic fluid. He almost admitted me to the hospital right then and there, but thankfully he found some. It took 2 days to get the results back. But while we were waiting for the results I had another ultrasound and it told us that I had very little amniotic fluid. I was at a 5. I'm not sure what that number is out of but apparently it's really low. 

They called my OBGYN and she said I needed to go to the hospital immediately. She warned me that the hospital was super busy and it might be awhile before we get a room but that we needed to go now. Cate's lungs were mature and with the new info about the fluid, she decided to induce me.

We got to the hospital about 1:30 in the afternoon. Didn't get back to OB triage until about 3:30 and didn't get into a room until 6 pm. Then we had to wait for the charge nurse to come and start the pitocin and that didn't happen until 7:45 pm. So when my Doctor told me it was busy, she wasn't kidding.  I thought we were going to have a baby that night but apparently my cervix had other ideas (which is okay because I have a problem and wanted her to be born on an even date...haha). My nurses came in every half hour to up my pitocin. I wasn't hurting so I didn't get an epidural until about 3 am when I started to get uncomfortable. But the best part is that I hadn't progressed. At all!! I was still a 6 and 80% effaced.

By 6 am the nurses checked me again and still no change!! I told her I was getting frustrated and she agreed. :-) My nurses were awesome and they genuinely cared about me and wanted to meet Catherine. Unfortunately their shift ended at 7 and they knew they wouldn't be meeting her and they were disappointed, which made me feel special. 😄

My nurses Casey and Leeza ran around the LD floor trying to find the Doctor to break my water so things could get moving along. My pitocin level was at 24 which is the highest you can go I guess and my cervix didn't cooperate. At 7:30 am my Doctor came in. Once again, my cervix was checked and I was complete! FINALLY!! She still had to break my water though.

For some reason Dr. Best left the room and the nurses told me to have a practice push. While in the process of this, they told me to stop pushing because she almost came out. I only pushed two more times after that and she was here. What a beautiful baby! Daddy hesitantly cut the umbilical cord but was glad he did it. She was born at 7:53 am, 6 lbs and 19 inches long on April 14.

No comments:

Post a Comment