I don't think I wrote this on the blog (I didn't tell anyone really). But at week 18 I got my blood drawn and had a Quad test done. This looks out for four different problems. The only one I can remember is the one that came back positive, Down's syndrome. The Doctor's office called and said that I was high risk and it doesn't mean that the baby will have it. I immediately started crying. I had to wait almost 2 weeks before I could go to the specialist to check it out. So as you could imagine, it was torture for me. I knew we would keep the baby and I would love her just the same, but it was still hard. Geoffrey made it easier by telling me "we prayed for a baby and we were blessed with one." And he was exactly right.
It ended up that everything was fine with the baby. The blood work not only told us if we were high risk for any of the four problems but told us what my protein levels were. I had two that were super high. They want the levels to be around 1.0, but mine were 2.14 and 2.84 which is extremely high! This told us that she has restriction to grow/might not have enough blood flow for her.
Because of my high protein levels I now have to start going to the specialist twice a week every week until she is born. One day will be for an ultrasound and the other day they will perform a stress test. I am not going to complain because I get to see her sweet face every week, how many people get to say that (and I'm sure my insurance is loving me right now). :-)

Oh my goodness Laney I am so sorry! That had to be absolutely awful to think that your baby might have a problem. I'm glad everything turned out ok and that they are keeping a close eye on things. Can't wait to meet this little princess :)
ReplyDelete