Everyone keeps asking me how it all happened. I'll start back from Friday night. Geoff and I went to go play games with my family, Jake and Kailey. We had a fun night and talked about being pregnant and having kids all night (thinking to myself, "I can't wait to have her to be done being pregnant), although I still had about four weeks left. We went home and it was a normal Friday night so we ended up watching TV. We both fell asleep and around three I woke up and went to bed. I woke up again at about 3:45 A.M. to a loud "pop" sound. It hurt a little and I thought maybe that Adelaide had kicked me really hard. Then my second thought was that maybe my water broke. Since I have never experienced labor I had no idea what to look for. I went to the bathroom to make sure my water didn't break. It felt like I had to pee so I wasn't sure if I actually did pee or if it was water. Right away I started to have contractions 2 minutes apart. There was no way I was really going into labor because I was so early. I was also thinking about my cousin who was 2 weeks ahead of me with her pregnancy. She had gone to the hospital a few days earlier only to be sent home because it was false labor. I decided to take a hot shower to relieve the pain but that DIDN'T happen.
Once I had dried off I leaked more water and then I absolutely knew we needed to go to the hospital. Geoff was still on the couch and I yelled his name several times from the bathroom because I couldn't move from all the pain. It isn't easy to wake him up. Sometimes we have conversations but he can't remember a single thing that was said. Since he didn't hear me, I had to wait for my contraction to be over before I could walk to the living room. I walked right up to him and shook him and said, "I think my water broke honey. We should go." I started to grab my hospital bag and other items I needed and Geoff was still laying on the couch. I was at the door and cried out that we needed to go NOW!! (in the middle of a contraction while laying on the floor). It seemed liked he slowly got ready and then went to get the car.
I called my mom to make sure that these were the signs of labor but when she answered I wasn't able to talk. It seemed that my contractions were getting worse. I cautiously walked down the stairs to get into the car. Geoffrey pulled up to the late night entrance to the hospital and told me that we needed to go in. I said, "This really hurts, you don't understand!! I can't move!!!" I'm sure I looked ridiculous while walking to the elevator and 5th floor. I do have a questions.... why do people think they can talk to you or ask questions when you're in labor. I had my husband with me! ASK HIM!! After awhile Geoff did take over answering the questions. And only two days earlier I had pre-registered. Think if I hadn't done that. It would have taken an extra half hour to get up to the labor and delivery floor.
Once I got into a room and changed, I laid on the bed in agony, waiting for them to come in and get on with the party. Once again they ask you more questions which all I could do was moan yes or no. The nurse finally checked how far I was and I was 100% effaced and 8 cm dilated. They were all amazed I had waited so long and thought I must have been in labor for forever. The truth was that it had only been an hour (at least that's all I felt). Water broke at 3:45 and got upstairs to labor and delivery at 4:45.
The worst part for me was when the anesthesiologist came in and tried to make me move during a contraction. I couldn't do it so he forced my body into the position, knees up to my chest, arched back and right up against the side of the bed. I seriously wanted to die. But it didn't take long before the epidural kicked in. I was in heaven!! I was extremely exhausted so I pretty much fell asleep. The Doctor came in and tried to talk to me and Geoff said all I was doing was mumbling. The Dr. said that he would come back in an hour so I could sleep.
He came back and told me I could start pushing. Well I admit I couldn't feel anything and the first hour was a waste of time pushing because nothing happened. Geoff also said that I would sleep in between pushes. Once the epidural started wearing off I could tell when I was having contractions and could feel when and how much to push. It didn't hurt at all but it took off the edge. After starting to tell how much to push it only lasted 30 minutes until she came. :-) Geoff actually surprised me. He did such a great job! The nurse told him to look to see Adelaides head and how much hair she had. He didn't want so see anything until she was out and clean haha! He held my leg and counted to 10 for me while I was pushing. If anybody knows Geoffrey... he was terrified to be in the delivery room. He did back off when she came out but the Dr. pretty much made him cut the umbilical cord (which he refused to do earlier when talking about it). But as soon as he saw Adelaide he loved her very much. He is super good with her and I love him even more for that.
They wanted to make sure that she was healthy since she came early. I was 35 weeks and 3 days. She wasn't considered "preemie" but a "late preterm" baby. She weighed 5 lbs and 10 oz., 18 inches long and was born at 8:48 A.M. She was doing great except that she was grunting a little while she was breathing. This is normal for almost all babies. What it is is that she had a little amniotic fluid in her lungs and she was trying to breath on her own but having a little trouble. They let me hold her for a couple minutes before they took her to the NICU. Daddy went with her while I was getting sewn up and resting. He took some pictures for me and it made me extremely sad to see all the wires and huge contraption she had on her. They said she had to have a cpap on for an hour to help her breath and then take it off for half an hour to see how she was doing on her own. It took about 4-5 hours before she came down into our room but thankfully we were able to visit her as much as possible. I made Geoff visit her because I was still numb and couldn't move.
Uncle Eric was her first visitor.
And he thought he was tired....
I finally got a chance to call my parents and let them know that Adelaide arrived. And to my surprise they had already packed up and left to come to Utah!! I am so grateful that they came early. I would have no idea what I was doing and come to find out, little ones are a handful. :-) My parents made it to the hospital about 20 hours later.
Monday when we were waiting to be discharged, the hospital pediatrician checked up on Adelaide making sure she could come home. It was taking FOREVER and I hated being away from her for so long. I went to the nursery to see how everything was going. The pediatrician told me she wasn't sure if we would be able to take her home yet. She had lost weight and with pre term babies they wanted to double check everything. She was now about 5 lbs. and 3 oz. When she told me this I started crying. How could I possible leave my baby in the hospital when I go home? I thought I was doing great with breast feeding and that she was eating a ton! What went wrong?? She said I could take her back to the room and once I got there I started bawling. I'm sure Geoff thought the worst and all he could do was hold me until I calmed down to tell him what was happening. Five minutes later she (pediatrician) came in to tell us we could take her home!! Yay!! I was still emotional because she had lost weight and it worried me every second of each day. I made sure that I fed her twice as much when I got home. My mom finally told me that it was normal for babies to lose a little weight because my milk was in yet. But still that didn't comfort me.
Here she is in her homecoming outfit. It didn't really fit, she is so tiny, and still adorable. :-)
I have been WAITING to hear your labor story!! I love to hear about new babies!
ReplyDeleteSeriously, your labor story sounds a ton like mine (except I was only a 1 when I went in and had to wait a while). I woke up to the loud "pop" at about 4:30 in the morning and was freaking out about how early I was.
I will never forget your sweet little girl's birthday. Her and Jasper are exactly 2 years apart and were the exact same weight and height when they were born. Crazy, huh? :)
She is absolutely adorable. I'm so glad she is here and I'm SO SO jealous ;) Enjoy the time you have with your mom and seriously take as much help as you can!! It will make recovery so much easier on you.
Love all you guys and can't wait to meet her!
I'm so glad to see some pictures!! She's so tiny and ADORABLE!! I'm glad you made it through and it sounds like Geoff is an awesome dad! We're just so happy for you guys. Having your first baby is hard, but it's so fun to be a small, little family. It changes everything and is such an awesome experience!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your sweet baby's birth story. I'm so excited for you guys, and she's is adorable!
ReplyDelete